Wednesday 12 March 2014

The Future Sound of British Musical Comedy


So my newest favourite singer-songwriter is Gwyneth Herbert. She is the composer/lyricist of the new musical The A-Z of Mrs P. Previously I blogged on one of the pre-released songs from the show "Lovely London Town".

Now listen to her song "Perfect Fit" from the EP Clangers and Mash:

"Look at my life, look at my dreams
And the wonder that the sky, it seems
So blue, so blue
And I smile as I sit,
As I found my Perfect Fit
And it is you
Yeah, it's you"

Is that not the future sound of modern British musical comedy? It's tuneful, but it's not old-fashioned. It's full of rhyme, but it doesn't sound like Stiles and Drewe. It has none of the eager-to-please forcefulness of a Broadway comedy number. It's simple, fresh and fun. And it's sung in a natural English accent.

It's got the feel of one of those optimistic Irving Berlin weather songs ("Blue Skies" or "Isn't it a Lovely Day?") but transplanted to a modern-day British seaside town. (Speaking of which, Gwyneth Herbert's song cycle Sea Cabinet, inspired by the Suffolk coast, is also well worth a listen.)

From the crits I've read, The A-Z of Mrs P has had a so-so reception. Well, that's a shame and I hope it doesn't put Ms Herbert off the musicals game. I have heard the future and her name is Gwyneth.

No comments:

Post a Comment