Saturday 17 August 2013

Possibly the Shortest Musical Ever Written

Very edible post from The Larder promoting the idea of a Festival of Tiny Musicals with each lasting around 6 minutes. The idea is that writers, rather than doing a 15-minute showcase of a larger work that struggles to get produced, should think small. New writers in particular need to start somewhere and, if it's your first time in the kitchen, then it's far easier to bake a cupcake than a triple-decker marbled chocachino sponge.

Personally I like the idea. I have no clue as to the kind of a musical that would last 6 minutes and that's precisely why I like it. It offers something new. That's not to say that I have a problem with the traditional two-act book musical. Some of my best friends are traditional two-act musicals. But that's a tough ask for a new writer. And, as with any tradition, the past can be a burden on the present. 

Comedians have sketch shows, novelists have short stories, poets have haiku. Bring on the miniature musical.

With this in mind I present "Mouse and Cat", a home-made musical straight from the oven which may possibly be the shortest musical ever written (although I'm open to correction).

 

1 comment:

  1. Technically that isn't a musical. A musical is a story written with music expressing thoughts of the protagnists and antagonists. This is just 2 lines...This is a 4 second song. The shortest musical is probably "21 Chump Street" written by Lin Manual-Miranda. 15 minutes. Highly suggest it currently I am in a production of Chump Street.

    ReplyDelete