Friday 7 February 2014

Interview with Louise Dearman

My interview with Wicked star Louise Dearman now available in issue 5 of the ever-thrillifying Musical Theatre Review (subscription required).

One interesting note about the interview was her comment on singing live as compared to singing in the studio:

“Very often with songs I’ve recorded for the album, there will be notes that I had to do ten times in the studio which live, with the crowd out there and the adrenalin pumping, I can nail.”

Which reminded me of Tom Daley. I remember the Olympic diver explaining in an interview how he could only perform the hardest dive (a quadruple somersault, I think) in competition. He couldn't do it in training because he needed the adrenalin of competition to give his body the extra speed required to make the turns.

It never occurred to me that the same might be true of musical performers. It backs up my previous little theory about performance: it's not the level of performance that matters so much as the risk that the performer takes. The more risk, the more thrilling the performance.

Furthermore it suggests that we should have as high a regard for top West End performers as we do for Olympians. And that Tom Daley should be the next Elphaba.

No comments:

Post a Comment